The project “Laser Nanoscale Manufacturing (LaserNaMi)” focuses on staff exchanging between the partners, especially between the partners of EU and China, on the researching and developing new maskless laser nanoscale manufacturing technologies for low cost and high efficiency manufacturing of nano structured surfaces and components including periodic structures (nano gratings, anti-counterfeiting security markers, nanoimprint templates, self-cleaning, antireflection surface nano-structures, and nano sensors) and other arbitrary features for both 2D and 3D applications. The target feature size will be down to ~10 nm in the selected applications for maskless laser nanoscale manufacturing.
Laser nanoscale manufacturing is of great importance in nanoscience and nanotechnology applications for large area, low cost and high efficiency fabrication of nano-structured surfaces, components and systems. Unlike the immersion approaches, LaserNaMi is simple and cost effective. The technology has a long working distance, flexible for different surface structures and suitable for both 2D and 3D applications. The advantages are unique compared with other technologies such as ion beam lithography (IBL), electron beam lithography (EBL), scanning probe lithography (SPL) and nano imprint lithography (NIL).
LaserNaMi has the following project objectives:
- To exchange ideas and technology concepts to further development on the new maskless laser nanoscale manufacturing technologies.
- To complement fabrication and characterization technologies with other technologies among partners in the LaserNaMi consortium to produce nanostructures in thin-films.
- To explore novel applications for the laser nanoscale manufacturing by the optimal combination of the different backgrounds and disciplines from the different partners of LaserNaMi. To strengthen research partnerships through staff exchanges and networking activities between European research organisations and organisations from China.
- To establish long-term research cooperation through the coordinated joint programme by exchange of researchers for short periods during the project.
The LaserNaMi main objective of research is divided into measurable sub-objectives specified below.
- Development of multi-beam laser interference nanolithography technology for the manufacturing of nanostructured surfaces and components.
- Development of direct laser interference patterning process technology for the manufacturing of nano structured surfaces with a feature size down to ~10 nm for the target applications.
- Development of direct laser writing technology to achieve arbitrary features by self-focusing laser beam in functional material structures with a feature size down to 50 nm.